Loan Exit Counseling (Exit Interview)
When you are about to graduate from UDM we will send you information so that you can participate in Loan Exit Counseling. This Loan Exit Counseling will be performed on the Internet, using Direct Loan Services. Loan counseling provides information on what to expect as you begin repaying your loans.
National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
NSLDS lets you look up information about YOUR loans, including how much you owe and who your lenders and servicers are.
Whom to contact about your loans after you graduate or leave school
- After graduating or leaving UDM, you will receive repayment information from ECSI, a contractor UDM uses to service loans. After your nine-month grace period, you will need to begin sending your payments to ECSI or to pursue a deferment or forbearance if needed.
- For questions while in repayment contact ECSI at 888-549-3274 or visit the website at www.ecsi.net
Stafford loans and Grad PLUS loans
- Direct Loan Servicing Center (Direct Stafford, Direct PLUS) 1-800-848-0979.
- For other servicers, consult your loan history on NSLDS.
- For private alternative loans refer to your loan applications to find your lender or servicer.
Loan Forgiveness Programs
Under certain circumstances the federal government will cancel all or part of an educational loan. This practice is called loan forgiveness or loan cancellation.
Federal loan forgiveness programs
Loan forgiveness through volunteer work
- AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) offer the opportunity to reduce your student loan indebtedness.
If you are considering consolidation you should be aware that if you received special borrower benefits by borrowing through the federal loan programs, you may lose some of these benefits.
Financial Hardship, Deferment, Forbearance, Default
If you are unable to make your student loan payments, there are deferment and forbearance options available. The consequences of defaulting on your student loans are severe, so explore your options BEFORE you default.