Finance & Human Resources

Lawrence Lavender, M.C.D., J.D., J.D.


This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. "> This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



Financial Services:

There are a variety of financial services offered through this department.  We process all business related finances.  Student accounts and donations are not handled by this department (those are processed by the Student Services or Advancement respectively).

For all reimbursements, the following amounts apply to employees and students.  It is very important that you only pay for your own expenses; do not split a check with another traveler!  This may cause one or both of you to not be fully reimbursed.  The university will not reimburse you for alcohol purchased with your meal or the tip on alcoholic purchases.

Mileage Rate - .56/mile

Meals with Receipts - $40.00/day

Meals w/o Receipts - $25.00/day

-          Employee Reimbursements are to be turned in on the “Employee Expense and Travel Reimbursement” form.  This form needs to be complete and accurate.  Please use the date you are submitting the form in the top right corner and then include complete name and address.  You must put the purpose for your travel (or expenses) and location on the space provided.  If you know your vendor number (TXXXXXXXX), please enter it.  If you are unsure, then please leave it blank.  Ignore the boxed area; it is for cash advances only.  Each form covers a seven (7) day period.  The date goes on the top line of the grid with the itemized expenses for that day below it.  You would then total each line to the right with those totals being added going down.  The last thing to do is to sign the form on the bottom left and submit it to your supervisor.  All expenses listed must have receipts (only exception is food as referenced above).  If there are no receipts, there will be no reimbursement; this includes tips, cabs, etc.  You must get a receipt or provide a memorandum explaining non-receipt items.

-          Cash Advances are only available to employees.  You must use the “Employee Expense and Travel Reimbursement” form for cash advances as well.  Use the day you are submitting for the form as the date and then include full name and address.  Fill-in the dollar amount of the advance on the second line (top right corner) and the date you are hoping to have the advance received.  Complete the reason for expense and location area and then print name, sign, and date the boxed area of the form.  You then need to submit the form to your supervisor.  When you return from your trip/event, you need to follow the steps above for “Employee Reimbursements” and include your cash advance amount at the bottom of the grid when calculating the totals.  If you need to return money to UDM, please pay the Director of Business & Finance in either cash or check directly and get a receipt, this receipt needs to be included with the form.

-          Student Reimbursements are available to students who incur expenses travelling for moot court, admissions, and legal clinics.  Students must use the “Check Request” form.  Please complete the full name and address of the student and enter your student number in the space provided as “Vendor #.”  You can select the check be returned to the requesting department or mailed to your home (students may not select hold check for pick-up).  If you have it returned to the law school, we will hold it for you at the business office.  Please use the current date for date requested and date required is not applicable on reimbursements.  The attention field stays blank, as well as the FOAP space.  Remember that you will only be reimbursed for expenses in which you have receipts.  They must be within university guidelines and be listed individually in date order.  Use the “Quantity” column for the date.  For daily meals, list each receipt on a separate line with each total under “Unit Cost” and the total for meals for the day under “Total Cost.”  Once all receipts are listed, add your ‘totals’ at the bottom.  You must then submit the form to the department that had you travel.

-          Purchasing goods or services for the university should be done in one of two ways.  Check Requests should be used for any purchase that is under $500.00 or such expenses as annual dues, conference fees, or reimbursing a non-employee.  If your purchase is greater than $500.00, you must submit a quote/request to the Director of Business & Finance.  Once the quote is submitted, a purchase requisition will be initiated.  If the purchase requisition is approved, you will be given a purchase order number and may proceed with the purchase.  If you make the purchase without a purchase order being issued, there is no guarantee that it will be paid by the university.  If you are using a vendor that we have not used since November 2007, then you must make sure we have a valid Form W-9 on file for them.  If you are unsure, please contact the Director of Business & Finance.  If the purchase requires an ongoing contract (such as a lease) then it must be initiated through our office to ensure proper signatures.  Please make sure your vendor knows we are tax-exempt as we will not pay for taxes on invoices.

Any disputes between the paid amount of a reimbursement and the amount submitted can be audited by appointment with the Purchasing Department at the McNichols campus of the university.  The process can be initiated by contacting the Director of Business and Finance.


The Associate Dean of Operations at the School of Law is the primary liaison to the Human Resources Department on the McNichols campus. For many issues, Human Resources must be contacted directly. However, you should contact the Associate Dean to know for sure which campus office needs to resolve the situation. If you must contact Human Resources, we will provide you with the correct person and their contact information. If you have any questions regarding the recognized holidays for the university, please consult the university calendar. Building hours are scheduled by Admissions and Student Affairs.


Specific questions can be directed to the benefits administrator, Juanita DeLoach by  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  email or phone at 313-993-1409. The Benefits website is also a useful tool in finding information regarding UDM benefits.

Employment and Job Postings can be found here.

Payroll dates can be found here. You must have your time sheets completed, accurate, and signed by 10am Monday following the end of the pay period. The on-line time sheet is found on TitanConnect.

Current Employees can find the Employee Handbook, Sexual Harassment Policy, and other valuable information by going directly to the Human Resources webpage.
All Human Resources (HR) forms can be located at the HR 
forms website.